January 16, 2018
Dear Buckeye Community,
Happy New Year! We have had quite a beginning to the second semester and 2018! I want to take this opportunity to update you on several items.
I can’t believe we have already used five calamity days due to the winter weather. The decision to close school due to inclement weather and/or unsafe driving conditions is not taken lightly, but the safety of our students is always our first priority. We try to notify our families as soon as possible once a decision has been made after considering weather forecasts, the condition of local roads and neighboring districts, and projected timing of winter storms.
Our board of education has approved the following protocol for make-up of calamity days 6 and above as listed below:
● Day 6: Extended day, We will add 30 minutes to each school day starting April 9, 2018-April 20, 2018 (as appropriate)
● Day 7: Extended day, We will add 30 minutes to each school day starting April 23, 2018-May 4, 2018 (as appropriate)
● Day 8: Extended day, We will add 30 minutes to each school day starting May 7, 2018-May 18, 2018 (as appropriate)
● Day 9 and beyond....Additional day(s) - We will add one day to the end of the year, the first day will begin May 28, 2018.
Look for additional communication should we use our sixth (or beyond) snow day.
Upcoming Board Meetings
This spring the Board of Education will be reviewing and establishing our Strategic Plan, which sets the goals and objectives for Buckeye in six areas: Finance, School Spirit/Pride, Academic Achievement, Community Engagement, Student Wellness and School Facilities. Over the next six months each regular board meeting will review the goals of a specific area, and once approved, the Strategic Plan will be updated on the district’s website where we will also document progress towards each goal. If you are not able to attend the board meetings you can watch them by accessing the board meeting video on our School web page.
Upcoming Items - Academics and Athletics
I hope you have been able to see our athletic teams and academic challenge team in action this season. It’s great to see our students involved in activities that they are passionate about and they work hard to be successful.
We are proud to share our third grade students’ recent success on the language arts assessment. The test is based on end-of-year expectations for reading and administered once in fall and once in spring. We are proud to say over half our third graders have already scored proficient and 90% have already met their reading promotion scores!
A couple of upcoming events you won’t want to miss include...
● 24 Tournament at Cloverleaf on January 24. Good luck to the sixteen fourth grade students who are participating!
● Medina County Solo and Ensemble Festival on Saturday, February 3rd at Buckeye High School beginning at 8:00 am.
● Buckeye Day at the Buckeye Primary and Intermediate buildings on Saturday, March 3rd from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. If you are interested in reserving a table please contact Vicki Calvin at the Board office. I hope to see you there.
We are actively looking for a new athletic conference after eight Patriot Athletic League members announced they are leaving the conference in order to create a new one. We have formed a committee to create a checklist of what we are looking for in a new conference as well as to review the conference options available to Buckeye. More information should be coming out over the next few months.
We also expect to begin the construction of our new baseball field that will be located adjacent to the Soccer/Track Stadium. This project has taken a little longer than we anticipated, but it appears to be back on track so we can begin competitive play on the new field for the 2019 spring season. Here’s to a prosperous and safe 2018 for you and your family.
There are a number of exciting things happening at Buckeye and I look forward to sharing them with you!
Kent J. Morgan Superintendent